Menu

Suggestions for Writing Instruction

ThreeTrees

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some ideas for writing curriculum for my just turned 12 year old. She has little formal writing instruction, we did 3 years of WWE but when we tried The Creative Writer this year she hated it. I think maybe she gets overwhelmed if it seems like there is too much to get done.

Ideally I would like something she could do that doesn't require a lot of time from me, I am looking at Brave Writer but the idea of a "lifestyle" scares me a bit. I am not looking for an overhaul of our day. I have other children and we don't have a strict schedule. Some days we start at 6 or 7 and others not until 9 or 10 but maybe I'm reading too much into the word. I am also looking at The Institute for Excellence in Writing but I'm not sure if it's enough? 

She did do Michael Clay Thompson for a year and although she liked it, I don't think she retained much because it was more abstract. We switched to FLL and she has done great, I think due to the gentle repetition. 

Thanks for any suggestions.