Menu

Memoria Press Poetry for the Grammar Stage

luckymom

We are using it starting this year in 3rd. As with all of Memoria Press's materials, it is simple, straightforward, black and white. For each poem, it begins with the poem itself, and a space for the child to draw an illustration about the poem (my daughter's favorite part). I like that part too because it really shows how they see and interpret the poem. Next there is a page for the student to copy the poem (aids in memorization). Next there are vocabulary and comprehension questions (teacher aided, because no actual teaching is done in the text). For each poem there is an exercise in a poetry-specific topic, such as alliteration, meter, etc. The third grade poems are fairly short and childlike, but they get longer and more detailed as the book moves along toward 6th grade.

Hope that helps some!

• Like 1

The teacher's manual is helpful in that it has the correct answers to the comprehension questions in it. I've also used it to discover exactly what they were looking for when it asked the student to 'name the rhyming scheme' of the poem (I'm a poetry newbie too and had no idea what they meant, lol). But it doesn't really include teaching ideas or scripting. These TM's were created for use in a classroom with teachers who know the material they teach, so in many cases they're basically an answer key. But I've liked having the answers.

We started in 3rd, as they suggest, and I probably wouldn't use it before that. The questions and terms they study are fairly advanced. (I'm 33 and I never learned what alliteration or a rhyming scheme was, for instance). On the older end, it is used into the 6th grade core, and the next book (I think it's an American poetry anthology) starts in 7th. But we haven't gotten that far. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1