Menu

Can I use Latin INSTEAD of vocabulary workbooks?

I am using Vocabulary from Classical Roots for my dd10 and dd9. It's fine, I guess, as vocabulary workbooks go, but I am not impressed with retention.

At the same time, we're also doing Latina Christiana I & II. I've seen people suggest focusing on Latin instead of vocabulary workbooks, but it's hard for me to take the dive and just do one. RAs play a large part of our daily schedule, so dds are exposed to a lot of vocabulary.

I'd like to know from a veteran hser if getting rid of vocabulary workbooks at this stage and working hard on our Latin is the best choice. It's starting to feel like too much to do both Latin and independent vocab studies.

Latin is what tipped us over to shelving vocab for my oldest kids. Between Latin and good literature the vocab was sooo redundant. My younger kids have never seen a vocab book and I don't regret it for a moment.

• Like 6

Agree. Oldest is in 10th grade, and several years ago, I gave up on Vocabulary from Classical Roots with her and went with just Latin and her habit of voracious reading. I have not used separate vocab with the next children either and don't plan to.

Erica in OR

• Like 2