Menu

Does anyone get "How to Teach Science" newletter?

debbiec

Not sure how the formatting will turn out, so I'm just starting with the "heart" of the email. If you want the preliminary stuff too, let me know.

Here goes....

Hydrogen

History

Hydrogen was discovered in 1766 to be an element by Henry Cavendish. It is named for the Greek word, -hydros, meaning water and –gen, meaning producing. Antoine Laviosier suggested the name because when hydrogen was burned, water was made.

Facts

• Hydrogen is a gas.
  • Hydrogen’s atomic number is 1.
  • It’s in the first column of the periodic table so that means its outer shell has one electron available for bonding.
  • Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.
  • Hydrogen is a very light odorless, colorless gas but is highly explosive.
  • Hydrogen exists in nature in two states which behave differently.
  • Hydrogen easily bonds with other free hydrogens and with oxygen to make water.
  • The world’s natural supply of hydrogen comes from volcanic explosions.
  • Hydrogen is not bound to the earth by gravity and is lost to space.
  • Liquid hydrogen is used in cryogenics and to study superconductivity.
  • Hydrogen is used in welding, in making hydrogenated oils and butters and to make hydrochloric acid.
  • Deuterium, an isotope of hydrogen, is used to slow down nuclear reactions in nuclear power plants. Tritium, another isotope, was used in the hydrogen bomb

Facts for the advanced learner:

Hydrogen’s electron configuration is 1s1

2 isotopes of H exist.

Atomic radius is .79

It has a hexagonal crystal structure.

Hydrogen’s Pauling electronegativity is 2.2

Joke

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Hydrogen is the main component in this deadly substance. When you click this link you will be taken to the web site of the organization dedicated to educating the public about Dihydrogen Monoxide. But before you start marching, take a moment to think about the chemical formula of this substance. Di- means 2. Mono- means 1. That means this substance is two hydrogens and one oxygen atom. Or H subscript 2 O. Get it? Dihydrogen Monoxide . You can also copy this data sheet and pass it around to friends. Very funny!

If you're new to the newsletter then you don't know about the book I've been working on. I lost a lot of weigh just using what I know about the biology of the body. People have been telling me to write a book on it so I have been working on it. It's ready now. If you want to know more about it go here: The Reality of Weight Loss

Closing Comments

Remember to point your children to the periodic table every once in a while and ask them to show you elements. When life circumstances bring you close to this element, be sure to mention it again. This repetition serves to help form neurons in the brain and make the periodic table be a normal part of life just like maps. In this way, our kids grow up with no fear of the table and perfectly comfortable in its use, paving the way for the “harder†sciences to seem like every other subject; something else fun to do!

If you haven't taken the How To Teach Science workshop, do so today. You can sign up at the web site in the workshop square. The cost is by donation and you set the price. This is not an ebook, it's a workshop and set up like if you took a class with me in person. You'll have materials on-line and click on links that take you to items I would show you or want you to read. There are some printables and lots of solid good information.

Please take a moment to send this newsletter to one person that you know who may like it. This will help me to grow the site. Until next time…. I wish you happiness, exploration and fun.

Teresa

www.HowToTeachScience.com