Menu

Edison Project: Anyone completed past EP1?

hermione310

I ran across a mention of the Edison Project on this board at one point and finally got around to checking it out a few months ago. I enrolled DD in Edison Project 1 (Intro to Electronics) and we're a few weeks into the course. So far I'm thrilled with what she's learning. This is the fun part of the school day for DD -- being able to play with Snap Circuits while doing classwork is considered a treat. 

I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile to consider completing all sections of Edison Project (Projects 1-8). Has anyone completed more than the Edison Project 1 course? I'd love to hear feedback on the higher levels, or on other courses offered by Quick Study Labs. 

Thanks!

It's for ages 8 and up. It's a class offered by Quick Study Labs. I'd never heard of them either until I ran across a mention of it online (I'm pretty sure it was on this board at some point). The classes are put together by a man named Joel Phillips, who according to the website teaches electronics at a local community college and offers the online courses as a way to channel the desire to tinker and solve puzzles into a passion for electronics. Here's the website: http://www.quickstudylabs.com/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was also wondering if it is worth the price of $65 for 8 lessons. Do his lessons add that much more to just going through the Snap Circuit project books on your own.

His materials cover the how and why of the circuits. So there's reading and quizzes and tests involved along with building the circuits.

My ds has done EP1-5. I think he was 13 when he started, which is probably a little old for the program.

I tried to use the books that came with the Snap Circuits, but it wasn't getting done. I signed him up, not expecting much, didn't pay much attention to what he was working on, just happy the kit was getting used and I didn' t have to learn about electronics myself 🙃. Totally hands-off, casual approach.

In the past few months we've had a couple repair guys come to fix the garage door opener and oven. When ds saw the circuit boards the men were replacing, he got all interested, telling me what the bits and pieces are called and what they do. He seems to have learned some things. Good enough.

I think it was worth the $65 every eight weeks. Ds was entertained, he learned something new, Snap Circuits got used. He says he wants to do the remaining units.