Menu

Colloquialism Q: ding dong?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

When did adults begin using "ding dong" as an expletive/adjective? Is this a regional expression? Is "ding dong" supposed to be a euphemism for swear words beginning with the letter D, or is there some deeper meaning understood by everyone but me?

I've never heard this IRL, here in Central Indiana.

I think a "ding dong" (as in, he is such a ding dong) just means a goofy person.I'm from Washington state, as are all my family ,and we all use it as that. Is it a regional thing?

I myself use "ding dang" all the time, because...well, I don't know why. It just adds a little something, when F***ing G***** isn't appropriate. Not that I'd say *that* either, but sometimes things just need an emphasis. "Use a ding dang napkin!" or "If I find one more ding dang pair of underwear on the bathroom floor...!" is a typical usage here. I imagine I'm the only one who uses that expression, but maybe not.

The only time I use ding-dong is when describing someone who is or does something that leads me to believe he/she is very lacking in intelligence.... Or sometimes on myself....as in "why did I put the Rice Krispys in the fridge? I'm such a ding-dong"

ETA: I am originally from Washington State too! Hey - Maybe it's a WA thing. I was posting at the SAME TIME as Camibami. Washington Gals Unite in language usage!

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

I've always heard it used as a substitute for any word that one would rather not say. My first day at an office job in Washington, D.C. I was told that I would not be doing a "ding dong" thing all day. I think it was meant to replace another stronger adjective that starts with a d. I believe it came into use in that manner because when people are "bleeped" on tv there may have, at one time, been an actual bell sounding to replace the expletive in question. Just a guess. Seems harmless to me, in any case.

Guest Dulcimeramy

How interesting! I love Kathleen's guess, about "ding dong" taking the place of a censor. That's sort of what I was thinking, because unless people are talking about an airhead they tend to only use this phrase where it seems they are thinking something MUCH stronger!

The light dawns, I think I have it now. In my part of Indiana, and down to Kentucky where my relatives live, we'd say "bleepin'" instead of "ding dong."

Tbog, don't feel like a weirdo! LOL That's kind of where I was going when I asked if adults use this phrase. My only experience with the term "ding dong" is either Hostess cakes or potty training little boys.

When did adults begin using "ding dong" as an expletive/adjective? Is this a regional expression? Is "ding dong" supposed to be a euphemism for swear words beginning with the letter D, or is there some deeper meaning understood by everyone but me?

I've never heard this IRL, here in Central Indiana.

Not here, either -- and I've been around. :D

Ok--I feel like a real weirdo now, lol.

I've heard it used in that context too. Or even just to refer to someone who isn't too bright. But never as an exclamatory.

When I lived in IN I was always amused by people exclaiming, "Jiminy Christmas!", when they expressed surprised. I grew up just hours away (southeastern MI) but had never heard that expression.