Menu

Math recommendations

nastulip

We are on the hunt for new math curriculum again.  I was using CTC, but I've found that with one computer we just can't do four kids in online math.  I need to go back to a textbook curriculum and I need suggestions.  I would prefer something that is low parent involvement, easy to grade and possibly something that lends itself to 3-4 lessons a week.  I will be homeschooling a 9th grader (may need to review algebra again), an 8th grader(possibly a pre-algebra) a 6th grader and a 2nd grader.  I am willing to consider different curriculum for each child and would consider christian or secular, though a secular curriculum might be nice because we may do charter school and they would pay for it.  Thanks for any advice!

We use Shiller with our second grader. We use it 3 days a week if that. Lessons are very short so we normally plan on 4-5 lessons a day. So it would fit that requirement. It is secular. It is easy to grade. However it requires moderate/high parental involvement. However considering it is possible to do a whole 1/4 of a book in about a month going 3 days a week, it may still work for you. They also have higher levels available to high school. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at the curriculum online and I actually think I really might use this next year!  I love the fact that it tells me exactly what lessons to review if they get answers wrong! Can I ask how many years you've used this and from what ages?

I think I have used it for 2 years. I can't remember when we purchased it exactly. We are at the end of book 2 right now so I might have got it in September of 2014. My son is 7.5 and we had tried 1.5 years of Singapore Standards before Shiller. He was in tears nearly everyday with that and we had to take a break before going to something else. 

I think this would work for ages 4+ depending on the child. My younger son is 2 (3 in July) and I will play it by ear, but honestly since he is counting right now, I could see using it with him earlier. Though I think I might put it off because he really likes Mother Goose Time that we are now using with him. 

I have posted a video on another thread, but in case someone else sees this thread and wants to see it, here is a video I made showing what is in the box and how it works.

• Like 1