Menu

Prepping for Challenge A?

AnnaM

My MIL has offered to pay for my oldest to try CC this next year. Is there any "prepping" that might be helpful to her? I am not really sure if we are in it long term as I find it a little hard to know exactly what it is we are actually getting, but since it's free...

I'd also be interested to hear what kind of teacher prep I should do. If she does it, then I will use it as her curriculum (as opposed to being supplemental).

Challenge A is definitely not supplemental.  It is a full curriculum.  If your oldest doesn't know countries and capitals very well, those would be a good thing to go over, because they will be memorizing and mapping the entire world.  they read the books at a pretty swift pace, so it might be a good idea to have her read some of the required literature over the summer.   She should know how to write solid, well thought paragraphs.  You may want to familiarize yourself with Lost Tools of Writing.  That's all I can think of off hand.

I would suggest you talk with your Challenge A director (probably after CC is completed for this year) to see what you need to do.  I'm familiar with CC but we're only in Foundations right now so I can't really help you.  The only thing I've heard is that having memorized the memory work does help in Challenge.  So you could spend the summer going over Year 2's memory work so that the information isn't brand new for your child.