Menu

Our Poor Little Guinea Pig

Deeke

We took Harold in for his monthly nail trim and the vet noticed a lump of some sort in his tail area. I feel so bad, poor guy, I never noticed. It looks like it is healing, but is quite big, say size of a grape approx.. He is feeling fine, eating lots and drinking, and it does not seem to hurt him when we clean it or touch it. The vet seems to think it has something to do with an ingrown hair and causing an infection. We have to clean it daily with a antibacterial solution and give him some meds internally for a week to see if it helps.

I am so worried about him now, has any other guinea pig owners come across this?

Thanks for any help with our little guy.

::carol:: :confused:

I'm so sorry. Guinea pigs are so lovable. A few months back ours had a wonky ear that looked like it was just disintegrating and when we noticed that we noticed a large lump on his head. He was treated with some cream and an antibiotic and we switched bedding. Happy to say that he snapped right back! Best wishes for a similarly swift recovery.

One of our guinea pigs keeps chewing stuff that causes her to cut the corner of her mouth. Then it gets a staph infection and looks horrible. But we just put a little ointment on it that we got from the vet and it clears right up. Otherwise, ours are very healthy. Guinea pigs are such charming pets! I love that little chirping sound they make, too!

j