Menu

LA help!

bluemongoose

DD 6th grade has used all levels of PR... which we loved!  After putting in a semester of the Latin Road we are both just done! I would rather stick myself with sporks than teach this one more day! The problem is I don't have a plan B. I can move to Latin for Children for the Latin portion, and we are using WWS for writing, but I need grammar and vocab. 

What works well to round out WWS? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Since you are doing Latin, you do NOT need vocabulary. {Sorry, I left out the most important word!}

Rod and Staff {but mine would rather roast alive than use that again.}

Hake {skip the writing}

Exercises in English by Loyola Press {just GUM}

Edited by Paradox5

Excessively religious, too much writing, too complicated as we got into diagramming, too much review, the pages are too cluttered. It will get the job done and many people here LOVE it. But it is boring, over the top , want to claw our eyes out boring dryness. The daily review is in the TM so it isn't hands off. It is meant to be taught to the student then the student to do the exercises. The lessons take a long time to do each day.

We love CLE because, while as thorough as R&S, it is much gentler. Smaller bits=happier kids here. The diagramming is also easier to cut out.

If I didn't use CLE, I would use {and probably will with dd} Hake. As a side benefit, Hake includes a few vocabulary words in each lesson. The kids can also write in in the Hake text. It is simple to use, self-teaching, and short each day. You can start the 4th grade book in 3rd easily.

EIC is a simple workbook with a short lesson at the top of each page and practice underneath. There is no review as I think it was originally intended to be a supplement to Voyages in English. 

Edited by Paradox5