Menu

Has anyone used MUS in the lower grades? I am wondering about transitioning...

DD used MUS through Algebra I, then moved on to Jacob's Geometry. DD finished pre-algebra last year and then moved to Jacob's Algebra I. Both transitions were fine. If I did it again, I'd do the pre-algebra through MUS then Jacob's Algebra I route. We used the honors books--I think that's helpful for encouraging thinking out of the box. We also dabbled with Singapore materials during the summer. I wouldn't recommend transitioning earlier than pre-algebra--MUS has an unusual order of presenting materials and I don't think it evens out until after pre-algebra.

My dd used MUS all the way through and is now in college. She is having no trouble with her college math and even told me the teacher was impressed with her knowledge of math so I see that using MUS all the way through is not so bad after all. We have made a switch with my ds. I felt like he needed more step by step and when MUS gets in the higher levels the author makes the student think more things through for themselves. We did MUS Alg 1 and then did TT for Geometry. He sailed through that and had no trouble. I thought TT was lighter than MUS. We are using Lial's Intermediate Algebra and he is doing well. We're about 1/4 of the way through the book and so far it has been all review for stuff he had in Alg 1 so I haven't seen any trouble transitioning to that either. I wouldn't worry about it but also realize that you might not need to transition at all. In our experience MUS worked out well all the way through.