Menu

What kind of alcohol for an alcohol burner?

we use denatured alcohol. You buy it at the hardware store. I can't remember if it is methyl or not. An alcohol burner works the same way as our big stove (with a wick), so I'm sure you could use it. We use it on the boat because it is misable (don't know how to spell that) with water - you can put it out by dumping water on it if need be. It is nice safe stuff. You probably know this already, but you aren't burning the liquid alcohol, just the fumes, so when you light it, it works better if you wait a second for it to begin evaporating.

-Nan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Veronica

My sister is in the ICU in Boston because of this device...I am to say the least shocked. This should be illegal to use with children or for anything, and children AT THE VERY LEAST should be taught exactly what can happen and how to use these properly. I can't believe that after what happened to my sister they would continue to use this. Just completely shocked. My thoughts and prayers are with my sister.

I'm so sorry about your sister.

If you can bear to, would you be willing to explain what happened? Since I have to continue using alcohol and would like to avoid accidents?

When I said safe, I was comparing it to other fuel choices. Gas is scary. One of them - propane or natural gas - can't remember which - can fill up a boat hull, since it is heavier than air, and then explode if you light a match or start your engine. I remember lots of scary stories about bunsen burners and irresponsible high schoolers - good thing those lab tables were slate. And white gasoline (Coleman) stoves, especially the pressurized ones, scare me very much. At least the alcohol burners aren't pressurized (or shouldn't be able to build up pressure if they are properly constructed). All fire/fuel combinations are dangerous, especially ones that float around or spill.

I'm really sorry.

-Nan