Menu

I found this new on-line Russian program...what do you think?

Our Russian tutor has taken a full time job and no longer has time to meet via Skype.  She was pretty reasonably priced.  So, I'm kind of back to the drawing board.  During my research today, I stumbled upon this site:  http://redkalinka.com/Learn-Russian-With-Us.html

It looks reasonably priced for the video + tutor access.

IMO, it looks like the first four courses would complete a year-one high school course, the next four would be year-two, and so-forth.

What would you think?  I also like that you can pay for one-on-one tutor time (about $15 an hour -- again VERY reasonable, as other Russian tutors we'd looked into cost $40-$50 an hour).

I'm pretty sure I looked into this before, and if I remember, it was both out of my price range and out of our time-range.  

The things I like about this course are:

1) Time-flexibility -- it doesn't matter if we are in Europe or the US.

2) Goes well past AP-level, so could be continued if desired.

3) Tutors if I need them (13 euro for 50 minutes for a tutor is cheap...most of the tutors I've looked into start at $30 for about the same amount of time)

4) Well organized with both printed work and apps/MP3s to review and reinforce.  Most of the online programs we've found are simply video, or focus exclusively on basic necessities for travel.  This program is built upon a European model to build fluency in both written and oral language.

5) I can spread the payments out (and 1 year of high school Russian would be about $375 vs. $600...taking it at a college pace would be about $750 vs. closer to $850-1000).

If we desire, we can have ds take the TORFL at Duke, to show mastery level.

things that make me nervous...it's new, and all of the programs aren't ready now.

I think I'm going to try it.

• Like 1