Menu

We haven't covered much US History

Quiver0f10

I confess we haven't really covered much US History yet. We covered up to the Civil war last year, but we did a rather informal study and I am worried that my middle schoolers are lacking in their US History knowledge. We are using TOG now so we wont ever really have a year of studying US if we continue this way, which I do plan too. I know TOG has some US, but I am not sure how much is covered.

If you use TOG, do you feel it covers US enough? If you don't feel it's enough, what do you do? If you don't use TOG, how did you or how are you planning on covering US history?

Thanks!

If you don't use TOG, how did you or how are you planning on covering US history?

Hi Jean!

I'll answer, even though I'm in Canada, because I'm an Amer/Canadian and put this pressure on myself to do a Really Thorough Job of covering both countries' histories!! :) And so, far, I've failed in that, but I don't care anymore.

I guess I just go through the history spines I've chosen (SOTW and KF), write narrations and outlines, and check out tons of related books from the library. When we get to Canadian and American history chapters in years 3 and 4 of SOTW again (this is the 2nd time through), I'll just get lots of books about both countries' histories again and let them read. And I'll probably check out more of them even when the chapters are about somewhere else in the world. I've pretty much decided I'm not going to take a whole year for one country, but I know they will absorb a lot (more than I ever did!) through just reading. And if they want to do extra writing about it, all the better.

hth

Funny, Quiver--I researched TOG off and on quite intensely last year and I came to the conclusion that though it looks like a wonderful program ad I really wanted to do it--it would just have far too much US history--esp. units 3 and 4.

It's a matter of perspective.

We are using year 1 so I wasn't sure how much was covered in the later years. Maybe TOG alone will be enough then?

I guess I just go through the history spines I've chosen (SOTW and KF), write narrations and outlines, and check out tons of related books from the library. When we get to Canadian and American history chapters in years 3 and 4 of SOTW again (this is the 2nd time through), I'll just get lots of books about both countries' histories again and let them read. And I'll probably check out more of them even when the chapters are about somewhere else in the world. I've pretty much decided I'm not going to take a whole year for one country, but I know they will absorb a lot (more than I ever did!) through just reading. And if they want to do extra writing about it, all the better.

hth

I could add some US lit books in or make sure they just read US lit every year. I just feel like our schedule is already so full right now. Maybe I need to just not care and stop worrying. :D

We're just beginning year 2, but I have looked through the year 3 sample. It looks like they do more US in the later years. My grand plan is to include the A History of US books chronologically as we go through TOG. Right now, I am reading The American Story to the kids a few times a week. It starts with the French Huguenot colony in FL in 1565 and goes through 2000. It is written for middle school age and is illustrated.

We're just beginning year 2, but I have looked through the year 3 sample. It looks like they do more US in the later years. My grand plan is to include the A History of US books chronologically as we go through TOG. Right now, I am reading The American Story to the kids a few times a week. It starts with the French Huguenot colony in FL in 1565 and goes through 2000. It is written for middle school age and is illustrated.

Thanks for the idea!