Menu

Free online video chemistry course

My son has been using Mark Rosengarten's free video chemistry course. I did pay for the solutions to the homework. We had been working some through the Zumdahl book, but with zero background in chemistry myself I was really uncertain. He doesn't really have labs posted, and we are using materials I'd bought before from the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments. My son has liked the videos, some of them are a bit cheesy or geeky but having the videos to go with everything is great. And there are some very geeky music videos too. The homework is pretty detailed, and there are a few extras like writing assignments requiring research that I'm not sure if we will use.

http://www.markrosengarten.com/aevideos.html

There are two versions, one is called Accelerated/Enriched and one is the Regents version. To be honest I haven't looked at the Regent's version too closely. As I said, I have no background in chemistry so don't know how it falls on the regular course/honors scale. My son is in 8th and plans to take AP chemistry so I am pretty confident it will prepare him for that.

Also, if anyone with more knowledge looks it over I'd love to hear about it from that perspective! But I haven't seen anyone mention this course so I thought it might help someone.

• Like 2