Menu

Comparing R&S to CLE LA?

quietchapel

I have a child who hated workbooks, so CLE was difficult to implement here. Plus, she retains very little, in general, from workbooks. If your kids are like mine, that might be a deal-breaker for CLE at your house. I'm planning to use R&S this coming year, but haven't tried it yet. IIRC, R&S is considered more thorough and has better writing lessons. 

I've used R&S grammar grades 2-6 and CLE LA grades 2,5 and 7.  I greatly prefer the spiral format of CLE.  I  think that the compostition portion of CLE is stronger than R&S while at the same time appearing less intimidating to the student.  I am actually giving away all of my R&S grammar books because we like CLE so much more.  

Another difference is that CLE is spiral, so they're continually hitting certain topics and getting more review. R&S will have a chapter on nouns, a chapter on verbs, a chapter on adjectives, etc. And it's the same order each year. There is oral review, but the main teaching is sequential. My son that gets grammar easily found it really boring (he's used parts of grades 2, 3, 4, and 5). I don't have experience with CLE LA beyond grade 1... My 3rd son finished 106 before our school year ended. He'll start 107 next week. He loves it. My kids enjoy workbooks and the satisfaction they get when they complete one.

Also, R&S breaks up the subjects into separate books, so for grade 2 you'd have a grammar book, a phonics workbook, a reading workbook, a spelling workbook, and a handwriting workbook. My rising 3rd grader is doing R&S for phonics/reading/spelling, but adding in grammar and handwriting would be too much for him. I will probably move him to CLE once he completes the phonics and spelling books he's working in now. CLE LA includes phonics, grammar, spelling, and handwriting at the grade 1-2 levels. They have a separate reading program. CLE LA would not have worked well for my oldest, who got grammar and reading easily but struggled more with writing and spelling. He needed different levels for different LA subjects. My other two boys seem to work roughly at one LA level across the board. So that's something else to consider.

• Like 1