Menu

5-6th Science in coop setting, suggestions?

Mommee & Baba

I'm a coop teacher. I currently teach IEW for grades K-10th. I'm also wanting to add Science into my schedule for the upcoming school year. The problem I'm running into is finding out what will work.

We only meet ONCE a week for ONE hour. I would need something that is very easy to grasp, fun, some work-text and labs. I currently own Elemental Science and it's far too notebook friendly for my liking. I'm looking for Chemistry or even something that combines Chemistry, Physics, Biology...ect.

I've seen Real Science Odyssey, RS4K, CKE, and Exploring the Building Blocks. The problem is...without buying them each to really flip through them to know...I'm lost on what to use. I've read so many reviews on how several of them were a quick curriculum or they weren't beefy enough. Would any of them work with the schedule I'd have and stretching it out over the year and adding in some additional reading books. Maybe there is something out there I'm just not finding yet that would be a perfect fit. I've also really been intrigued by The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe, written by Ellen McHenry...would that work for this grade level or not? Can it be stretched over the year?

The class is mainly geared towards 5th and 6th graders.

Any insight would be of great help! Thank you :)

My son is in a co-op this year with the same set up. They use the Christian Kids Explore series. The child is responsible to read the chapter at home before they come to class. During class they do the 'fun' stuff, experiments, and talk about the reading. Their grading is based on vocabulary quizzes at the end of each section. For 4th grade they just did Physics. He has enjoyed it and learned a lot from it. The only other co-op that I know of out here uses Apologia. HTH! :-)

• Like 1