Menu

Reading or phonics for visual/right-brain learner?

We mainly use Logic of English Foundations, but I have pulled out Dianne Craft's Right Brained Phonics book when DD needed extra practice on seeing a phonogram in a word.  You can also just highlight or print of words color coded to "see" the phonogram more easily in a word.  She only needed that a short amount of time with some new phonograms though before she could see certain multiple letter phonograms in a word when she was first learning multiple letter phonograms that were in the middle of words.

You could try Secret Stories cards. The program is made for schools, but I think you can buy sets of the cards on teacherspayteachers.com. The cards create images out of each phonogram to help memory ("th" is sticking out its tongue, the "ar" is riding in a car, etc). I'm thinking you could just use them to reinforce whatever program you have. My VSL would love them, come to think of it. I use OPGTR and she runs for the hills.

Another idea is the Phonics Farm from IEW. Their PAL Reading program includes a poster of a farm, with a set of stickers for each phonogram. The haystacks are all the long "a" combinations, the cows are the "ow" sound and the long "oo", etc. pricey at $29 but it includes a lot of background material and a phonics notebook your child can put together as you work through the phonograms. I made it into a wall chart and we add to it when we learn each phonogram. It really makes OPGTR "fun" and visual. It was a good supplement for us. (My youngest isn't at the "vowel team" level of phonics yet, so she hasn't started our Phonics Farm. Which is why she still runs away...)