Menu

Songwriting? X-post

3in9th

I have a dd who has been singing since before she could talk, literally. She's almost a teenager and she is always singing. She's highly verbal and once wrote a song for a theatre group project. But I think she could do more, but I am out of element as to how to get her started.

I thought maybe finding some music without the lyrics, like karoke and have her write lyrics. Is that a good idea? Any other ideas?

Maybe she could take popular songs and rewrite the lyrics to a certain topic or theme.  My dd loves doing this.  She will take book characters she really loves, or figures from mythology, and make up songs for them to sing.  They are usually written as if they were characters in a musical acting out a scene, and she generally sets them to the tune of whatever her favorite song is at the time. 

Has she taken piano lessons or studied music at all?  If she learns basic improvisation on piano (I am thinking like a basic blues chord progression), she may be inspired to create lyrics to go along.