Menu

Would love some feedback on our Logic Stage math plans

PeachyDoodle

I'm starting to plan for next year, which for us means we're moving into the Logic Stage! I'm excited and a little intimidated at the thought of prepping dd for high school. Math gives me the most trouble. We have been using CLE and love it, but we'll be looking to transition into something that can take us all the way through 12th grade.

DD is bright and picks up concepts easily. We have already accelerated her a bit, mostly by cutting back on the amount of practice problems she does in CLE and adding in some challenge word problems from Borac. She is not what I'd call "mathy" (by which I mean she's not a kid for whom math seems to be intuitive). A traditional approach works best for her; we tried BA and it was a total bust. She needs a lot of hand-holding on the Borac. But when the concepts are explained in a straightforward way, she easily understands them and can explain why the numbers work. We are finishing up CLE 400 and will be moving into 500 within the next few weeks.

Here's our tentative plan for the next few years:

• 5th grade: Finish CLE 500 and CLE 600 (through about 606; from my research on the forums, others have said this is a good place to transition to Saxon 8/7). Add in some real-life math; looking at Family Math or something similar.
  • 6th grade: Saxon 8/7
  • 7th grade: Saxon Algebra 1/2
  • 8th grade: Saxon Algebra 1

My main goals are to keep her moving forward at a comfortable pace and to build a strong foundation for algebra and up without too much unnecessary overlap/repetition.

Evaluating math curriucula is a weakness of mine. I never know if it's too much/not enough. I'm terrified something will get left out or not covered well enough, especially with switching programs. DD would like to move faster, and I think she probably can, but I'm afraid of not building a strong enough foundation for higher-level math. What do you think of this plan?

TIA!