Menu

SOTW cycles with more than 1 child

walkinlegends

My boys and I really love SOTW - I started Ancients with my oldest in 1st grade, then Middle Ages for 2nd and K, now Early Modern for 3rd and 1st. I'll have a K, 2nd, and 4th grader next year for the last book. I've noticed that the chapters get longer and the language a little more advanced with each book - my oldest tracks really well and could easily read it himself, but I don't want to give up the shared learning aspect for all of us. SOTW3 is a lot of information for my 1st grader, and I'm wondering how both he and the Kindergartener will do with SOTW4 next year. The coloring pages and review questions do help, I'm just wondering how using SOTW for such a range of ages has worked/not worked for others? Thanks!!

It's doable if you don't have all or nothing thinking about it.  Not every part of SOTW 3 and 4 is going to be a good fit for the littles getting folded into the cycle, so do their narrations separately using some of the suggested prompts in the Activity Books or ones you come up with that meet them at their level.  Do narrations with all the prompts or ones you come up with the older kids at a more advanced level.  If there is content in a reading that's just too much for your littles to handle, have something to do with them that's related to the chapter, but doesn't focus on the content you decided was inappropriate. If you have the Activity Books there are lists and lists of related fiction and non-fiction to choose from. Do the SOTW reading and narration with the olders first and then do the alternative history from the lists with the littles separately.  In general, gear things to the olders as they have the more urgent academic needs and if you need to skip something, skip it with the littles.