Menu

How to classically teach varied ages of children

Guest eswack

I am trying to figure out how to teach a four children, ages 4, 7, 9, and 9 using the classical approach. The 9 year olds go off and read on their own assigned books with no problem. The challenge is when they need to take turns narrating back to me and discussing what they have read. One always seems to be waiting for a turn with a book or with me.  The 7 year old is not a strong reader, so I must read aloud most things to her or work with her to slowly read it to me. It seems there is always one child just sitting there waiting for me. I use Primary Language Lessons for the 7 year old and Intermediate Language Lessons for the two 9 year olds, which are also time consuming and require much one on one.  Then, there is the 4 year old who is learning to read and write and wants my focussed attention.  This is our third year homeschooling, but the first year using the classical approach.  I like that we got rid of the many worksheet/workbook based curricula I had been using in previous years, but I just can't seem to figure out how to use the classical approach in a way that doesn't consume so many hours.  We work for 5 hours, with many times the kids waiting for me, and I'm exhausted and they have no time to play. Please advise.