Menu

Social Studies?

Zinnia

This is my first year homeschooling my 2nd grader.  We are using Heart of Dakota, which has many aspects I like, but I'm also searching around for something that fits us a little better. 

At this age, I'd love to do a more social studies/unit study approach instead of using history as a spine.  I think.  :)  I used FIAR with him for pre-K, and I really enjoyed that approach for that age, and I think I would enjoy it for this age, too.  The jumping around from subject to subject between weeks just seemed to work better for me. 

So, within that, I have two questions...

...is there anything besides FIAR that more uses this approach as a spine-less spine, I guess?  But some sort of framework for what to study/dig into next?  To be honest, this particular child is wonderful, but he doesn't have a broad range of natural interests (he will grab one and stick with it for 9-18 months), so interest driven won't work that well. 

...if you did more of a social studies approach, when did/do you transition to a more traditional history approach? 

Thanks for your input!  This is all so very new to me, and sometimes I get bogged down in just figuring out what direction to go in.