Menu

nm

This is my thinking, and we are about to hit Ancients next year (although not with MP):  My dd has always enjoyed history and literature.  If a particular book is above her grade-level reading (such as the Iliad will be next year.  She will be 9th grade and it is at least 11th according to my research), I get a lower-level version of that book.  For the Iliad, I bought Classic Starts Iliad.  I also bought the movie Troy with Brad Pitt.  That is how we will begin our study of Iliad.  My purpose is not to torture her with reading books far enough above her level that she doesn't even understand.  My purpose is to familarize her with the plots and themes and whatnot of these classic pieces of literature.  She does not have to read the highest level to do that, if she's not ready for it.  We may read excerpts from the original, we may not.

FWIW, for when we do Ancients, I bought Classical Mythology and More Reader Workbook as a spine, and I am filling it in with reader's theater plays and Literature Pockets and relevant videos and lower-level version of Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid.  That will be 9th grade.  She's a VSL.  And we're going to enjoy it, and she will remember.  

Hope this helps.

By the way, there are wonderful Shakespeare comic books (I like Graphic Planet), and there's a graphic novel of Beowulf, and a good kids Canterbury Tales.  I think by Geraldine McCaughrean, if I recall correctly.  

Consider your goals and work accordingly.  What do you want her to get out of all this?