Menu

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Aurelia

I always over-plan, so I'm trying to cut back (at least a little) but I don't know if I've got a good balance or not. DD will be starting her 6th grade list either in late January or early February, and since it's taken so long (14 months) to get her "5th grade" content subjects done, I'm trying to cut it back to a semester, starting "7th grade" in August. (Also, we are REALLY sick of studying ancient history, which is what the first semester of OM6 covers.) I buy almost everything used, so I need to get my plans in place now, so I can get everything and lay it out before starting the new school year.

6th:

Learn Math Fast (review through Pre-A), Khan Academy Pre Algebra (as time allows)

Oak Meadow English 6 (second semester only)

CAP W&R

Oak Meadow Ancient Civilizations (second semester)

Mapping the World with Art (first 20 lessons)

Anatomy (homemade, basic overview), Ellen McHenry's The Brain

Getting Started with Latin

guitar lessons

tumbling/cheerleading (5 hrs/wk)

7th:

TabletClass Algebra I, Learn Math Fast (finish through book 5)

Lightning Literature 7

CAP W&R

Excavating English (history/English hybrid)

State history (homemade), finish Mapping the World with Art (10 lessons)

Ellen McHenry Elements and Carbon Chemistry

Latin Prep 1

guitar lessons

tumbling/cheerleading

I'm a little concerned English might be too heavy on the 7th grade list, and maybe too much history and geography on both years. (I have to really check myself when planning curricula, I try to include WAY too much and have to cut out half of what I plan, which leaves me with a bunch of stuff we never use.)

BTW: We school year-round, and a semester is about 24 weeks long. 

Is it too much? Just right? WAY too much? Have I forgotten something?

I always over-plan, so I'm trying to cut back (at least a little) but I don't know if I've got a good balance or not. DD will be starting her 6th grade list either in late January or early February, and since it's taken so long (14 months) to get her "5th grade" content subjects done, I'm trying to cut it back to a semester, starting "7th grade" in August. (Also, we are REALLY sick of studying ancient history, which is what the first semester of OM6 covers.) I buy almost everything used, so I need to get my plans in place now, so I can get everything and lay it out before starting the new school year.

6th:

Learn Math Fast (review through Pre-A), Khan Academy Pre Algebra (as time allows)

Oak Meadow English 6 (second semester only)

CAP W&R

Oak Meadow Ancient Civilizations (second semester)

Mapping the World with Art (first 20 lessons)

Anatomy (homemade, basic overview), Ellen McHenry's The Brain

Getting Started with Latin

guitar lessons

tumbling/cheerleading (5 hrs/wk)

7th:

TabletClass Algebra I, Learn Math Fast (finish through book 5)

Lightning Literature 7

CAP W&R

Excavating English (history/English hybrid)

State history (homemade), finish Mapping the World with Art (10 lessons)

Ellen McHenry Elements and Carbon Chemistry

Latin Prep 1

guitar lessons

tumbling/cheerleading

I'm a little concerned English might be too heavy on the 7th grade list, and maybe too much history and geography on both years. (I have to really check myself when planning curricula, I try to include WAY too much and have to cut out half of what I plan, which leaves me with a bunch of stuff we never use.)

BTW: We school year-round, and a semester is about 24 weeks long. 

Is it too much? Just right? WAY too much? Have I forgotten something?

Is there a rush to get 6th grade (including Pre-A) done so you can start 7th??  I'm just thinking there's a lot to cover in just one semester (even if it is 24 weeks).  Can you just start in Jan or Feb and take the year to do 6th and then in a year from now start 7th?  I don't mean to offend in any way....I'm just wondering why the push to get 6th finished so quickly with a 10 year old.  

I'm not trying rush, and the designation is mostly for when people ask her what grade she's in, and for my bookkeeping purposes since there's no reporting in our state. (She likes to keep up with her cousin, who will be in PS 7th grade in August, and DD is capable of doing the work, so we usually use that label. She's been really bummed this last semester that she's still in "5th grade" while her cousin is in middle school.) We've already spent nearly 3 semesters on 5th grade content work, and neither of us want to drag out one semester of OM to an entire year. She's already partway through the Khan Academy program, but even if she doesn't finish Pre-A by the end of "6th grade," we'll just keep plugging along and move on to the next level when she's ready. 

Also, she's nearly 11, going on 17 :tongue_smilie: . If she knew the term, she'd accuse me of being ageist if I were to suggest she were not capable of doing the work because she is 10.