Menu

AAS & SS

kolamum

I own both curriculums. We used Sequential Spelling first with our eldest who has Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome {aka Irlen Syndrome}. We used it prior to a diagnosis & prior to the helps he know has. While it did work any time off meant knowledge lost.

We switched to AAS because memorising the rules helped him greatly. I could tell him what rule to apply when he was worried about spelling things wrong. We could brush over rules before doing a spelling lesson, etc. I love the "box" system in regards to reviewing the rules/words as it's just like our Memory Box system.

However, after getting him a diagnosis & helps I found that his progress was very very slow with AAS due to the mastery approach. I have no problems with that he needs to know, so while he was memorising rules & learning to apply them to words I pulled back out Sequential Spelling.

He has been able to fly through a good percentage of Book 1 simply by applying rules from AAS. We're nearly at the end of our school year & I'm working on outlines for next year. What I'd love to do is apply the rules aspect of AAS with the lists from Sequential Spelling. Has anyone ever gone through & matched this up?

Im not opposed to doing it myself, but I figured if someone else has all ready done the work I'd be grateful to cash in on that. :)