Menu

Burial plans

Night Elf

OK...now I am at a real keyboard, and can address the direct burial issues

Re: vaults.  Cemeteries require vaults to keep the ground from collapsing.  The vault can have a "floor" or not--it can just be 4 walls with a lid.  The reason this matters is that it allows contact between the casket / body and the earth, which allows the body to return to the earth (as opposed to remaining in the casket...and I'm not going to get more graphic about why that matters).

Many more cemeteries than you might think do not require a casket, but allow the burial of a shrouded body.  This practice is increasingly popular because of the "green burial" movement.  This movement is also increasing the availability of wicker caskets (baskets), and other materials that decompose easily.

We bought our plots for $1000 each.  We bought my iL's plots for $200 each.  They are out in the country, not in the city (where plots in our area go for $35,000 - $50,000, depending on the view!) and lawn maintenance is left to the elk, not landscape architects.  

For those who are interested in knowing more about the options one has for a simple burial (and for insight about how to deal with the funeral industry), I *highly* recommend the book, "A Christian Ending to Our Lives," by the Barnas.  It is a beautiful guide through this process and will disabuse you of false information given out by those who make money from people in grief.