Menu

So...How low carb is low carb?

Tiramisu

I'm currently trying a modified version (I modify everything, lol) of the 2 Day Diet or carb cycling, which you can look up (many body builders do this). Anyway, the idea is that you choose 2 days a week and keep your carbs below 50 per day. The other days, you should eat a "normal" amount of carbs. I am doing it for weight loss and other health benefits that seem to be similar to those of the 5:2 fasting, which I have done but just cannot stick to because of the low calories.

On the days you go low carb, you are also supposed to consume plenty of protein and fat. I am doing 3 days a week instead of 2, and it really is quite easy. Check out the link, but don't buy the book. I did and returned it, as there wasn't anything in it that you can't find on the net. 

Tiramisu, Dr. Peter Attia has some great information about cholesterol at his blog, "The Eating Academy". I'm linking you to part six in the series, because it's the one about LDL: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-iv

Also, I think Arctic Mama gave you some links to cholesterol information on Dr. Eades' blog. He also has a great two-part post about avoiding "Atkins Flu" when you start low-carb: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/ And that recipe for Tinto de Verano is fun as well. ;) (Though I personally would recommend saving that until *after* you are firmly in ketosis - alcohol during that transition would be rough, I would imagine!)

I'm sorry to be disagreeable, and I mean no disrespect at all, but I would definitely not recommend any kind of carb cycling, "up day / down day", or intermittent fasting type plan for someone with hypoglycemia.

Oops. Neither would I. I apparently did not read the op closely enough before replying. Bad me.