Menu

Just got a job teaching...and hate the curriculum the school uses

mitzvahmommy

Good luck to you. I would be lobbying for more time on academics. My 9 year old spends more than 3 hours a day on academics and he is my only kid at home these days. I can't imagine how that would go with 6 kids. However, given that the parents have been fine with minimal time spend on lessons and the principal's love of workbooks, it doesn't sound to me like the school is primarily concerned with academics.  They are there primarily for religious instruction and that is where the time and what little money there is are going to go.

Do the kids have access to computers at home or in the school? You could make use of things like Kahn academy, MEP, KISS grammar and youtube and online textbooks (hippocampus, etc) . I have also been surprised by some of the Evan Moore 'daily practice' books. They are inexpensive and can cover quite a bit of ground by being done in small amounts every day. Something like '6 daily trait' writing books and 'Daily language review' and 'Daily paragraph editing' all by Evan Moore might yield something useful.Yes, it is more workbooks, but things like that can be assigned as homework to shore up weak skills. You can use them a year behind if they are truly lacking.

And can you assign homework, or is all the work expected to be completed in school?