Menu

Presence of Design Maven requested, please!

swimmermom3

We built our daylight basement home twenty-one years ago and it is showing its age. Our master bedroom has become the catch-all for things that don't have a place and I've cannibalized the better parts to use in other areas of the house. 

Everything is in transition with our oldest son moving out in June and our daughter (almost 22) maintaining what is now basically a walk-in closet. That leaves Sailor Dude here and we are currently working on his older brother's bedroom so we can move him downstairs.

When we are done with his room and I am finished painting all of the new doors and trim for the first floor, I would like to work on our bedroom.

It is tiny by today's standards for master bedrooms: 14' wide x 12' long.  If I am standing at the doorway, I am standing at the left edge of the room, the south wall. There is a dresser along that wall. At the doorway, you face our queen bed on the west wall. The north wall has a basically 6' x 4' window. The east wall has the entrance into the room, six feet of wall and then the entrance into our bathroom. Think basic box starter home.

When you look down the hall from our great room, you see right into the room - the profile of the dresser and dh's nightstand.

I would love to make this room more up-to-date and give it some architectural character. The flat doors are being replaced by four panel doors and the stained colonial 3" trim is being replaced by 4" craftsman style trim around baseboard and doors. Sadly, windows have only drywall around them with window sill and trim.

Dh has requested that we keep the color: Rodda Halo. The trim will be Devine Icing.  I know, the color is a bit dated, but I think with bright pops of color and accessories, it will be fine. We went to the Street of Dreams last weekend and every house was the same set of colors: warm grays, cool grays, khaki, and cream. I think I will keep my spot of color.

I will try and post pictures when Sailor Dude gets home and can help me.  If you have ideas for making a small master bedroom haven, please share. Or if you have favorite blogs, please link. I am so bored with this room.

Guest inoubliable

Are you up for replacing your bed? We did and got one from IKEA with the drawers under it. Did away with the dresser and that made the room look a lot roomier. What about curtains? We have mini blinds in the new apartment but would like to someday get some nice, luxurious looking curtains to soften the room up a bit. New bedding? I always like how the room looks when we change out the duvet cover and pillowcases. 
Curious to see what others suggest!