Menu

Computerized math notation is painful...

LisaKinVA

... I have two children taking some free courses that make use of graded computerized work that utilizes all of these weird rules for entering problems...and things have to be entered just so.

It's taken 3 hours for dd to complete her Geometry homework, and we still can't get the computer to accept 2 problems.  One is simplifying the square root of 0.01 (which is .1), but says if it's not a natural number to enter none...we've tried both .1 and none...and it's not accepted.

The last problem asks you to calculate the decimal equal to 1/2 - .2^2...we've tried 0.46, .5 - (.2)^2 and .5 - .04 -- all rejected.

I'm at a loss...we've  posted and sent a question, anyone here care to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Have you tried both with and without the leading 0? Your answers are of course correct.

It may also just be a bug.

Okay...one down!  leading zero fixed the first issue (although we could both swear we tried it that way before), but not the 2nd problem.

Just to check, does the first one have any parentheses that you didn't type in?

The first one was fixed with a leading zero...we didn't type in any extra parentheses when we typed the answer to the 2nd one, just used them with the exponent portion.

The first one was fixed with a leading zero...we didn't type in any extra parentheses when we typed the answer to the 2nd one, just used them with the exponent portion.

Sorry, I meant second one.

Are there any parentheses in the second question? It is 1/2 - .2^2 and not (1/2 - .2)^2 ?