Menu

Why don't italics start at the top line?

~Victoria~

I have been googling the heck out of discussions for italics and just realized yesterday that the letters don't touch the top. My son did hwt in k last year and I like the print but hate the cursive. I love how italics look in print and joined (minus some joins) and was thinking about switching so I printed off some letter tracing/copywork and realized that the letters start midway to the top. Why is that? Would it be strange to use hwt for print and then switch to an italics for cursive?

Do you mean up to the next line in lined paper? Because then there would be no space between the writing of one line and the next. Don't all handwriting systems do that?

If you look at this kind of handwriting paper, the red lines represent the real lines that you would see in lined paper. The dotted line is a guide for lower case, and the blue solid line is a guide for the capital. As the student progresses to using regular lined paper, the blue lines would disappear leaving just the bottom line for each line of text.

(Edited to delete image)

I see what you mean now. That's even the handwriting program we use.  :lol: They do show the student where to start the capital letter when first learning them.

I think it's to get the student into the habit of not starting the capital at the bottom of the previous line. I find that desirable. Here's a sample I found in google where the student is starting the capitals all the way at the top, and I think it makes it difficult to read.

(Edited to delete image.)