Menu

Living Math for 1st Grade

queenie

I am going to do Living Math instead of a set curriculum with my upcoming first grader and I am trying to decide what book would be better..Kitchen Table Math or Games for Math by Peggy Kaye? Or do we need both? I already own the Right Start games so I wasn't sure if the Games for Math would be redundant. Any suggestions? Thanks!

When you gave the RS book a thorough look through--what do you think needs shoring up? What is missing games for fact practice? Games for telling time?

What are some topics that you want to cover this year that aren't covered by the RS games? It seems weird to buy 3 reference/guide books for 1st grade math. You should probably just use what you have on hand and not worry too much until a: you find a hole in the kids math that RS's book wont fill eventually or b: the living math approach just does.not.work for your kid no matter what you try.

We are doing living math for first grade as well. I do not have Rightstart games, but I do have Kitchen Table Math and Games for Math. They are quite different. I also have Family Math, which is similar to Games for Math but contains different activities. I like to have lots of activities from which to choose. Check your library for Games for Math and Family Math -- ours has both of them.