Menu

Horizon 2 Math Users/Owners...I need a favor!

SophiaH

My dd almost placed into 3rd grade math (she missed one more than she could on the placement test). Of course, the items she missed were grouped into a couple of sections that she hasn't learned yet. I'm wondering if those sections are all in Workbook 2 of 2nd grade and I could just start her there instead of starting at the beginning of Grade 2, which looks like a lot of review from the samples. I have looked everywhere I know to look for Table of Contents of the 2nd workbook, and I can't find it! Even CBD's "Table of Contents" link is not the table of contents. 

SSSOOOOOO, I'm wondering if anyone who owns the TM or the second workbook can tell me if these things are covered in book 1 or 2: ratio, addition and subtraction of thousands, roman numerals (not so worried about this as I can teach her this myself), and problems having to do with the "shaded fractional part of the whole," which *I* couldn't even figure out what they were asking on the placement test. 

Also, is there anything else I need to know about starting in the middle of the year? Is it doable? I'm still not sure if I'm going to switch her over, just thinking about it...Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

I wondered if I might be able to pull the topics she was missing from MM, which I already own, to do first and then go straight into Horizons 3. My only concern with that is she will only be a second grader, turning 8 in November. She's bright, and has never had any problems with math (she's halfway through MM 2B), but I also don't want to frustrate her. I've read on here from some moms that they felt Horizons moved quickly. Of course, I guess I could just have her finish out MM 2B, which would probably cover some of what she missed. Duh, right? ;)

I'm just not super familiar with Horizons, the scope and sequence or the pace, so thank you for replying! It gives me something to think about.

Horizons is a spiral program. Each lesson teaches a tiny bit of something new with a few problems. Then the vast majority of the problems are review. That spiral is part of why it is hard to see the scope and sequence. You can't just look at a table of contents. New techniques take several (sometimes non-consecutive) lessons to complete.

MM is a mastery program, sticking with a concept and building it up from why to how.

If she is doing well with MM, why switch to Horizons?

I'm not saying don't switch, just be aware of the difference in spiral vs. mastery. I switched DD to Horizons halfway through 2nd grade, when she was already eight years old. She had done some RightStart and Miquon before, but I wanted aomething different. I wanted something that she could do (mostly) independently. She wanted something easy. And we both wanted something very predictable.

My dd almost placed into 3rd grade math (she missed one more than she could on the placement test). Of course, the items she missed were grouped into a couple of sections that she hasn't learned yet. I'm wondering if those sections are all in Workbook 2 of 2nd grade and I could just start her there instead of starting at the beginning of Grade 2, which looks like a lot of review from the samples. I have looked everywhere I know to look for Table of Contents of the 2nd workbook, and I can't find it! Even CBD's "Table of Contents" link is not the table of contents. 

SSSOOOOOO, I'm wondering if anyone who owns the TM or the second workbook can tell me if these things are covered in book 1 or 2: ratio, addition and subtraction of thousands, roman numerals (not so worried about this as I can teach her this myself), and problems having to do with the "shaded fractional part of the whole," which *I* couldn't even figure out what they were asking on the placement test. 

Also, is there anything else I need to know about starting in the middle of the year? Is it doable? I'm still not sure if I'm going to switch her over, just thinking about it...Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

Just pulled out my Teacher's manual and this is something you could do with a review of Book #2.  Ratios and Roman Numerals aren't covered until then.  Fractions and addition/subtraction in thousands both begin in Book #1 but have lots of review in #2.  The "shaded fractional part of the whole" is how many items are there total and then how many of those items are shaded.  There are 4 cats total and 1 is shaded so the fraction is 1/4.  We like Horizon's Math and DD is doing really well in it.  She begs to do it in fact  :hurray:

Susie

dd(9)

All the items you mentioned are covered in book 2 - roman numerals starts very early in book 2 and ratios a little later, adding and subtracting thousands starts in book 1. However depending on your child you may be able to skip book 2 of second grade even and start in book 1 of third grade as there is a lot of review - book 1 of grade 3 starts with adding and subtracting double digits, moves very rapidly into hundreds and into the thousands by about lesson 17, with Roman numerals being revised around lesson 14 where the concept could be taught for the first time - but this will depend on how much spiralling it takes for your child to grasp a concept. The other reason to be careful is that the print size decreases from grade 1 to grade 2 and then there is another print size decrease at grade 3 level again which may mean that for a young child the pages could become too busy. Also in grade 3 they have much more work adding money (decimals) than there was in the grade 2 books and you may find that more work is needed here - if you were having to introduce that along with Roman numerals and ratios all in a short space of time it could be too much (or it might be just right for your child). 

Is there a reason you want to switch from MM to Horizons? When switching programmes many people do back up so you could start successfully at either book 1 or 2 of grade 2 or even book 1 of 3rd grade as stated above. For my child Horizons had too much review and too many of the same problems - however it is very nice if I want my child to work independently as I found very little teaching was needed for each lesson. We have stopped it for now though and are using Singapore instead.