Menu

Do any of you own the Bravewriter resource, "Help for High School"?

"Help for High School" (which you purchase as an e-book) is a fairly new resource and I've not yet heard any feedback on it. I know some here have taken online classes through Bravewriter and/or have had exposure to Julie's book, The Writer's Jungle. Julie's a friend of mine and I've gleaned a great deal from her writing wisdom over the years. My boys haven't taken any BW online courses, but it's always a consideration; the timed essay class in particular would be very worthwhile, imo.

I've had my eye on "Help for High School" since it became available. (You can read more about it here http://www.bravewriter.com/Welcome/hhsdescrip.html.) It looks to be a valuable, practical resource for students as they develop their essay-writing skills. Although my oldest is only in 8th grade, I see a benefit to using the first half of this now. Just wondering if anyone here has a firsthand experience to share. Thanks!

I've often thought of getting this book; I own and have read at least half of The Writer's Jungle and I've found Julie's conversational style to be very engaging. She makes dictations and narrations so accessible, and for the first time I really understood the purpose of "freewriting", which I had previously dismissed before reading her book.

I think sometimes she offers specials with ordering both The Writer's Jungle and Help for High School. I should have gotten both then. I know The Writer's Jungle would be easy enough for most students to read. Julie is also a tremendous encourager for the reluctant writer.

I hope someone else will answer this thread!

I have it. I also had The Writer's Jungle, but sold it this year, since I only have a high schooler now. I do like the high school book, and used it for my son, who was a rather reluctant writer. It is written directly to the children, in a light, conversational style. It was great for him since the lessons had kids do a lot of lists and short assignments initially. The argument section of the high school book was especially helpful. It helped him organize his thoughts, and got him writing, but he was still a little confused about the actual essay form.

I haven't used it for my daughter as I was working more once she hit high school, and she took the online classes at Bravewriter. I think I will use the argument section for her though, since that wasn't covered in the online classes.

Hope that helps some.

Veronica

I have it. I also had The Writer's Jungle, but sold it this year, since I only have a high schooler now. I do like the high school book, and used it for my son, who was a rather reluctant writer. It is written directly to the children, in a light, conversational style. It was great for him since the lessons had kids do a lot of lists and short assignments initially. The argument section of the high school book was especially helpful. It helped him organize his thoughts, and got him writing, but he was still a little confused about the actual essay form.

How old was your son when he used the book, Veronica? Did you copy it to a CD and have it printed out? And finally, has he used other resources since then that have helped him solidify his understanding of the essay form? Thanks for your input!

My son used it in 9th grade. I printed the whole thing out, and it was a good thing since lightning knocked my computer out the next day, and I lost everything. I should have backed it up on CD, but didn't get a chance. DS also used Wordsmith Craftsman the second half of the year, which helped some. If I had to do it over again, I would have used Format Writing, which probably would have better helped cement the essay skills. He ended up going to public school for 10th and there they seem to do a lot less writing than I ever required at home, so I'm glad we did concentrate on writing in 8th and 9th grade.

Thanks,

Veronica