Menu

Co-op Drama class for 4-8 year olds. Please help!

I am going to be in charge of a drama class at our co-op for 4-8 year olds.  Never having taught a drama class to little ones before I would love to get some advice on programs and ideas that have worked.  In particular I'm looking for drama programs, play ideas, public speaking programs, or fun drama activities.

Here is my advice.  I have run drama for this age and have taken kids to a festival and taught through a local arts nonprofit.

Put on an actual play.

Playing drama games is fun.  Playing improv games is fun.  Doing little skits and so forth is fun.  But nothing beats the rush and sense of accomplishment of actually putting on a "real" show where everyone has learned their lines and is wearing costumes and makeup and is doing the thing they rehearsed for all their parents and the other kids.  There is such a sense of pride and accomplishment that comes with it.  And in taking the journey to get there, you end up doing all the activities and work that you would do in any drama class.  Plus you have to really build a team, a sense of community and trust.  It's a great way to bond as a group.

I've done Shakespeare condensed plays for this age.  I like that, but it can be something else.

For theater games, I really love On Stage by Lisa Bany-Winters.  That's a great book with opening activities.  101 Drama Games for Children is okay too.  We always begin with a lot of opening activities and warm ups.

If you've never staged anything before, I suggest that doing the blocking up front will be the biggest challenge with kids.  I think you spend all this time thinking it's going to be projecting their voices, but it's blocking.  Every time.

I can give more advice if you're interested.  I sort of stumbled into becoming a drama teacher, but it's been fun.