Menu

Mom-designed chemistry for 8th-I need textbook recs

I used Singapore O-level chemistry for my science-obsessed child 8 years ago, but that is no longer published and wouldn't work for this current student.  He is also science-obsessed, and in chemistry wants to do a lot of experiments.

So far I plan to use the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments, parts of Elements of Murder, part of the Cartoon Guide to Chemistry.  I need a basic high school level chemistry textbook for us to use as topic guide and reference.  I don't plan to systematically work through the book, but to read and discuss the relevant sections. 

My high schooler is going to use World of Chemistry by Zumdahl. Algebra skills are required to work through it, but it could work well as a reference for you. This is the one Zumdahl wrote for high school. (If I recall correctly, Introductory Chemistry is a non-major college text. He also wrote just plain Chemistry for college level.)

Conceptual Chemistry by Suchocki is another non-major text. This one is very light on math.