Menu

Joy of Mathematics - How do you use it?

If you have The Great Courses Joy of Mathematics lecture series, have you used it with your high school students or do you just use it for your own edification?

If you used it with students, how did you do so?

ETA: Let me add that someone has offered me the DVDs on the cheap. You all know I am a bit like Pavlov's dog when it comes to Great Courses, but I still try to acquire ones that we would actually use.

We just watch The Joy of Mathematics.

My son's favorite math course from Teaching Company is Discrete Mathematics. My math lover loves this set of videos and watches/studies the videos, internalizes them, works on learning more math, applies these new concepts and then goes back and rewatches the videos. Discrete math is not what I'd recommend to the typical student - it's pretty complicated.

We own a number of Teaching Company math videos and someday I intend to sit down and write them up for your thread on all the courses.

We just watch The Joy of Mathematics.

My son's favorite math course from Teaching Company is Discrete Mathematics. My math lover loves this set of videos and watches/studies the videos, internalizes them, works on learning more math, applies these new concepts and then goes back and rewatches the videos. Discrete math is not what I'd recommend to the typical student - it's pretty complicated.

We own a number of Teaching Company math videos and someday I intend to sit down and write them up for your thread on all the courses.

Julie, that would be very helpful.  I think the only way I am going to know if my ds would watch the Joy of Mathematics is probably to get it and watch it myself, but only because the price is dirt cheap.  I had the chance to peruse the set a few years ago, but my math skills aren't so rusty now and my appreciation has grown, so I think I am more open to it. We'll see.

A couple of years ago, I would never have thought that I would add History of Science lectures into our regular classes, but now I do and enjoy them immensely. Of course, the history of chemistry has some of the same over-the-top appeal as Spanish soap operas.