Menu

Love Horizons math, but I think we need a mastery program

Hello,

My oldest son has completed Horizons Math 5 and 6, and he is currently working on Horizons Pre-Alg.  He is a bright kid and can do math in his head like a calculator, but he struggles remembering new concepts/formulas.  I absolutely love the program, and my son enjoys the appearance of it, but after working with him this year, I think he might do better with a mastery-based program--or at least a less spiral-based one than Horizons.  It seems like each lesson in Horizons gives him just enough problems to kind of see how the concept works, but not quite enough to truly "get it" on his own without me sitting there for support.  And definitely not enough for him to be completely confident with it.  I really wanted to use Horizons' Alg I course next year, but I really think a change might be good for my son.

Can any of you suggest a curriculum that is as thorough as Horizons is but that is mastery-based?

TYIA!