Menu

Charlotte Moms: Question if we relocate

Alicia64

Hi Charlotte Moms!

Dh is looking at a job in Gastonia. If he gets it, would you recommend that we live in Gastonia? Or another part of Charlottesville?

​

​He's up for a 20 minute commute if necessary. We have twin 11 yr. old boys and I homeschool them so schools aren't an issue. We've been relatively mobile w/ my husband's work so we'd like to rent and can afford up to $1800 in rent.

We love to swim. Love libraries. Love dog parks.

I should add: we're safety nuts. My husband works a lot and I don't love being home alone. So a safe area is super important.

I love the look of snooty suburbs, but not the attitude. And I always end up in a snooty suburb and end up regretting it. We're looking for friendly and welcoming if that's possible. (Maybe it's not because we're newcomers?)

​
Also, if you're still reading: what is homeschooling like in Charlotte?

Thanks for any help!

Alley

I don't live in Charlotte (I live east of Charlotte), but we seriously considered moving there a few years ago. Gastonia is nothing special. It's a smaller city-nothing really memorable about it, other than its proximity to Charlotte.

I would look at South Carolina, too, as Charlotte is right on the border. Some nice small towns and suburbs there. We really liked the Ballentine area of Charlotte.

​Really helpful -- thank you. Dh would have to commute to Gastonia. Can you suggest a fun place to live that would give a 20 min. commute?