Menu

HELP! 2/3rd grade language arts

brla

I am trying to figure out what to do for my son's language arts.  You'd think after 8 years, I'd figure this.  This child, though, doesn't do well with just absorbing things like the rest of the children have.  I was looking at Essentials in Writing for him (middle child uses it and its OK).  BUT, I don't think he will work well with that.  I have Sonlight LA 2 (the 2013? one).  That might work, but he HATES all the writing and balks at it daily.  We have been working with it for half a year now and are only on week 4 for many things.  He's one of those kids that likes to get in there and get it done without the extras.  So, I was looking at CLE online but know nothing about it.  I am fine with him being in a workbook-based language arts.  I need it to be as complete as possible and not take a very long time to complete per day.  Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? 

Writing is just a part of life. I have a few boys like that, too.

What about this?

https://www.queenshomeschooling.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_61&zenid=5ecb4a88b1d920af9a35b64874257003

CLE is very good but does not include writing. It will cover your spelling and grammar well. 

R&S is also easy to do. You can do most of it orally and it includes some writing.

I think, for this child, it's a matter of maturity as well as a sensory issue.  He does write a bit with the history notebooking, so I know he's getting writing in.  I am ok with starting later with formal writing, once he gets more comfortable.  I haven't looked at Queens, so I will take a look.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I have 2 like that, as well. I did LOTS of Mommy dictation/scribing for years for them. You do what you need to help the child succeed, right?

With CLE, the first 2 levels are lots of phonics. They have also been recently revised to include some writing. CLE is going to give a little new and lots of review, just like their math. If your guy is a git 'er done guy, this might drive him batty.

Classical Writing has a Primer series that is nice and gentle, as well. It might be too young for your guy, though.

Have you seen McRuffy LA? It is a complete LA.

http://mcruffy.com/SEAnnouncement.htm