Menu

can someone help with writing?

mom2four

My ds 9 will be in grade4 this coming year although was in PS for k, grade 1&2. I stared him in ffl2 and wwe2 we will be finishing these soon and would like to start ff3 and wwe3. The plan is to school lightly through the summer. so my question is for writing, my son hasn't enjoyed any of the dictation and I know would love to be able to write some of his own stuff. I still want him to be doing the dictation, but I'm wondering if there is a different programming that I can add to the wwe so that he has more variety?

What I did is cut back the dictation to once a week and the other day that was supposed to be dictation, I substituted a writing lesson from our R&S English book. They have more creative lessons, like writing stories and such, so it was something completely different. Maybe you could do something like that? Or just let him free write whatever he wants one day a week?

Brave Writer! I just got back from a conference where I attended several of Julie Bogart's sessions, and she is just so inspiring to me. Her philosophy and approach to writing is so healthy and effective. (I'm a writer, and I really feel like most of my personal development as such came from the very things she talks about.) I've read her book, The Writer's Jungle, so I already knew I loved her approach, but hearing her speak about it really was just so incredible. It's a great addition to WWE because it's so different--gives the kids lots of time for real writing, lots of encouragement, lots of room for growth as a thinker, and lots of opportunities to refine their skills.

Brave Writer! I just got back from a conference where I attended several of Julie Bogart's sessions, and she is just so inspiring to me. Her philosophy and approach to writing is so healthy and effective. (I'm a writer, and I really feel like most of my personal development as such came from the very things she talks about.) I've read her book, The Writer's Jungle, so I already knew I loved her approach, but hearing her speak about it really was just so incredible. It's a great addition to WWE because it's so different--gives the kids lots of time for real writing, lots of encouragement, lots of room for growth as a thinker, and lots of opportunities to refine their skills.

This looks really interesting, how would you use it? Would you get the partnership writing program? From what i can see it looks like something my son would love!

At your son's age, I would definitely go with Partnership Writing. It's also really helpful to read The Writer's Jungle, just to get a feel for the whole philosophy and lifestyle behind Brave Writer. It's expensive and long, but so inspiring and invigorating that it is an easy read. :)

(Both products are substantially cheaper on Homeschool Buyers Co-op.)

You should also take a look at the Bravewriter website.  She has a lot of great ideas explained very nicely there.  I just bought Jot it Down the other day, and I love the ideas in it.  I think we will really enjoy it and Partnership Writing when the kids are ready.

We have done a few poetry teas, and my two really enjoyed them.