Menu

CLE 6 to Tabletclass PreAlgebra

Has anyone here followed this track?  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do next year.  CLE has been a wonderful curriculum, but I'd like to take some subjects off of me next year(I have a 2 year old and a baby as well).  I know CLE can be done independent but we have never done it this way.  I wanted to make sure I had reviewed all the concepts in the event the boys had a question I would be able to help (:

I've been reviewing different options-Landry Academy PreAlgebra, Tabletclass as well as The Potters School.  Tabletclass seems the most affordable and has great reviews.  One question I do have is does Tabletclass review like CLE?  Or is it similar to MUS in that once a concept is taught and tested, the student then moves on and is not reviewed on past concepts.

You haven't listed the one we transitioned into, but dd has had no problem going from CLE 600 to Derek Owens' Pre-algebra. It is also an affordable option since the Pre-algebra class is available for purchase at lucideducation.com. You purchase the workbooks and solutions cd and the videos are there online. I am extremely happy with it. We plan to pay for his online classes ($58/mo) starting with Algebra next year.

We had narrowed things down to TabletClass or Derek Owens.  Our final choice was TC for very specific reasons in ds12's case.  I wanted something that provided more algebraic content as he had already been working with another Pre-A program in MUS.  TC was very challenging in a good way.  But I don't think its the best fit for every child as its somewhat advanced.  With our dds I am leaning more toward Derek Owens since math does not come as easily for them and DO provides more primary review.

With regards to spiral review like CLE at the Pre-A level, no, TC, DO, etc... do not offer the same kind of incremental review.  However once a student begins algebra the concepts really start to build upon previous ones learned.  So in that sense there is built-in review.  But overall it is more mastery based.  CLE 700 & 800 would be more spiral.