Menu

Anyone made the switch from SWR to All About Spelling?

Once

Just curious if it is one of those things you have to go back to the beginning and learn the whole system or if you can jump in part way? Anyone have any opinions or ideas?

I am getting ready to test dd for the new school year with SWR. Would that help to place her or does she just need to start at level one?

Also, how long does it take to work through one lesson? Is it week or just as long as it takes to learn the material? Could she work through level one really fast and start level two by Christmas?

I really have no idea how well she is spelling. However, I know level one would be too easy for her. :bigear:

Thanks in advance.

I only sporadically used SWR, but my dd knew the phonograms when we began using AAS. I purchased the first level. Yes, it was easy. However, there were rules in there that she didn't already know. So, that was good.

You can take the lessons as quickly or slowly as you would like. I have taken them very slowly with a younger child and much more quickly with an older child. In fact, we did Level one in about 4 months with an older child.

If you need further assistance, Marie is incredibly helpful.

FWIW, if you think your dd is past Level 1, the Level 2 book does a brief overview in the first few lessons. I still liked doing the first level book, as it got us used to the AAS system.

Last time I tested her I think she was third grade 9 months in. So she was on grade level and SWR was working. I wanted to find a simpler to use spelling program since I am adding a first grader this year.

Can the level 1 be done independently? Can dd go aff a do it herself at a faster pace while I help ds do it slower?

Last time I tested her I think she was third grade 9 months in. So she was on grade level and SWR was working. I wanted to find a simpler to use spelling program since I am adding a first grader this year.

Can the level 1 be done independently? Can dd go aff a do it herself at a faster pace while I help ds do it slower?

I was not able to let my children do AAS independently. However, it didn't take long each day. We would be done in 10-15 minutes.

so take my specific experience with a grain of salt! :glare:

My girls are very good spellers and were at grade level with SWR. However, I started with Level 1 of AAS and we've progressed quickly through AAS. We've done approximately one step per day through the short vowel sounds and then slowed down to about 1 step per two days at the later stages.

I think you could easily work through Level 1 by Christmas - if not before. The first book has 24 steps.

so take my specific experience with a grain of salt! :glare:

My girls are very good spellers and were at grade level with SWR. However, I started with Level 1 of AAS and we've progressed quickly through AAS. We've done approximately one step per day through the short vowel sounds and then slowed down to about 1 step per two days at the later stages.

I think you could easily work through Level 1 by Christmas - if not before. The first book has 24 steps.

Same here. I tried for a couple of years to do SWR and implemented it to various degrees at different times over those years. Never very thoroughly, though. I wrote a review of All About Spelling and I also blogged about quitting SWR.

I think there probably is some benefit to going back to level 1. I imagine the resale for AAS is good as there aren't that many used copies floating around yet. We went through AAS level 1 fairly quickly and then we started level 2 shortly before our summer break. I'll probably go back to the beginning of level 2 in September because it does do a quick review of level 1 before moving into new material.