Menu

Distinguishing between strep and food allergy rash

Tiramisu

Does anyone know a good tip for figuring out what a rash could come from. I had an image in my mind of a strep rash and what dd has is something different, but according to google images there are variations of strep rashes. Strep has been on my mind because dd had strep a few weeks ago and has complained of a sore throat on one day since. At the same time, dd has been eating unusual amounts of peanut butter and jelly for the last week. She told me she didn't eat it yesterday, though, and yesterday the rash was better. She had it this morning again and it was worse. 

We have an appt this afternoon and I am debating about giving her Benedryl if that could confuse thing for the dr. But it might also help. ??

Gotta run! Check back later. Thanks!

Did your DD take an antibiotic for the strep? How long ago was that? I was stumped when DD had a rash and took her to the doctor who said it was an allergy to the antibiotic that she had started over a week before. It hadn't occurred to me that it could take that long for the rash to come out, but apparently the antibiotic was building up in her system over time and took over a week to present as a rash.

She took an antibiotic but finished it about two weeks ago.

About an hour ago, the rash started fading. So we've had it come out a few days ago and go away. Today, it was even more widespread and now it's going away.

I'd say she ate breakfast at around 8:30 or so. The rash flared about an hour or hour and half later. Does that sound like a food allergy? It doesn't sound like strep at all does it?