Menu

AAS to Spelling Workout?

jessj

We have been using AAS.  It is very effective... when we actually do it.  But this year I've had some health struggles, so subjects needing mom we are lagging behind in. 

I am thinking of switching from AAS to Spelling Workout.  Has anyone done this?  Is it a good transition?  My kids will be completing levels 2 and 3.  What book would you start in for each? 

Or, if you have found something else that is a little less mom hands on, I'd love to hear about that too! 

My boys are currently taking a break from AAS and using SWO.  The older had finished AAS level 6, the younger level 4, and not only did I want a break from the teacher-intensiveness, but they needed some practice in things like recognizing misspelled words, marking errors, etc., as well as reinforcement in things like prefixes, suffixes, etc.  When they tested last year these were things they had trouble with.

The SWO levels roughly line up with grade levels--A for 1st, B for 2nd, etc.  The A level, though, is super easy and focuses a lot on sounds and letters.  Each SWO level actually starts with some sound review and builds through the weeks to blends, endings, prefixes, etc.  So sometimes it's appropriate to start in the middle of a book.  Because the AAS levels don't really line up like that and tend to not branch out into more difficult words at the lower levels as some spelling programs do, I like to start with a lower level of SWO than grade would indicate.  Plus SWO workbooks start using cursive at the D level, which not all kids have a lot of practice with.

I currently have my 7th grader finishing up the level E book and my 5th grader about to start the D book.  The best way to determine placement for your kids would be to search online for sample pages.