Menu

Philly people, could you please help?

LMA

Can anyone who knows the Franklin Institute area, tell me about that part of the city? My husband is concerned about the building being by the highway ramps and that the building doesn't seem to be in a neighborhood with other residential buildings.

The Franklin Institute Area is not far from THE ART MUSEUM. Both border the Ben Franklin Parkway, which is a large multi-lane street. In that area, the Vine Street Expressway, meets Interstate 76 which becomes the Schuylkill (sp?) Expressway and then the PA Turnpike farther out.  

There are some tall apartment-looking buildings across BF Parkway from the Franklin Institute. And I think the Free Public Library is not far on that side as well.

Just driving through the area, I got the same impression as your dh that it's not particularly residential beside those apartment-looking buildings.  

On the other side of the Franklin Institute, though, there are regular, rather narrow city streets that I would consider a residential-commercial mix. There would be plenty of things to walk to on the Franklin Institute Side of the BF Parkway and it gives the impression of being safe.

There's also the natural history museum nearby, and then there's the park on the river on the other side of the BF Parkway and Art Museum. It seems like the area would have possibilities.