Menu

Question for users of Math in Focus grade 4 + up

Hello,

Thinking of switching my DD from math mammoth 3 this year to MIF 4 next year. Is the Teachers manual necessary? is it essentially the exact same thing as the textbook? or is there a lot more teaching in the Manual that isn't in the text?

-any chance anyone knows how similarly the line up? in other words, will she have missed some previous teaching in MIF that wasn't taught in MM if we jump in at grade 4?

Thanks for any help!

I have Math in Focus 4 although we still have to finish up our 3b book before we start.  The Textbooks in my opinion are self explanatory.  After 3 years of using the program my daughter can basically teach herself.  I do recommend the "Transition Book." since you are switching curriculum.  I only started purchasing the Teachers guides for level three to make checking her work faster for me as I have a toddler and things are not so easy all the time here.  It is basically an answer key for the workbook and textbook and has some pages in the back you can photo copy for the games if you so choose to play them.

You can sample all the books at all levels though virtually!

Just click the Math tab, then Math in Focus, select whichever version (I choose 2012) and then fill out the form as a homeschool teacher.  You will have access immediately and you can see the differences yourself.  I took screen shots of the text and printed them out to try a chapter before I purchased it.  

Also there are placement tests.  

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/resources/result.htm?title=Placement 

well the first time I had the sample it lasted a year... but when I have deleted the email I have just gotten it over and over and over again without issue.

Thanks for you response. I did sign up for the sampling online, I just wonder how long they allow you to access that? if it's indefinite, I guess I wouldn't really need a teachers manual at all if I could just look at that.

• 2 weeks later...