Menu

Has anyone used Saxon 3 and Intermediate 3 one year after another?

bttrflyvld

Just curious is anyone has gone through Saxon math 3 and then moved into Intermediate 3 before moving into 5/4.  I see that intermediate 3 has worksheets for the problems and that could be a nice transition for a child that doesn't like much writing.  Whereas, 5/4 the child has to write out all their problems.  Just thinking out loud, but i could see how intermediate would be a nice transition to help child move into a more independent math book. But would saxon 3 and intermediate 3 just be the same material?

Any thoughts on using one after another?

I'm doing this with a student (I teach part time at a small school now that my homeschoolers are in high school).  I have two third graders in 5/4 and one in Intermediate 3.  He did Saxon 3 last year but he really floundered in 5/4.  It seems like the jump in the amount of work was just too much for him.  The information in Int.3 is the same as 3 but the presentation is different.  There is text for him to read and learn to understand how to read a text.  The workbook helped a lot at first but he is transitioning to doing it all on paper.

I've found it really helpful for this particular student. 

Hope that helps.

Great thread! I've been wondering this too. I have saxon 3 teachers Manuel from a curriculum sale. It covers the same material, I think as intermediate 3. One is written to the student though and is more independent than the other. I have been told in my research that I shouldn't do both. Pick one to meet what the students needs are. The problem is I feel from the saxon 3 teachers manuel it is too mommy intensive for that age, especially if the next year in 5/4 is worrying everything out and textbookish. Big jump, I guess, it what I'm thinking. 

My problem with intermediate 3 is do I just use 3 and then go to 5/4 or do I stick with it through 5 or however high it goes now before switching to the old saxon? And then where does it meet back up again? 7/6? 

I feel like a curriculum hopper if I just use intermediate series for one year.

plus I already have saxon 3 teachers manuel which is going to be my first wasted purchase of our using journey. Aaaaaaa! (Start the downward spiral) :)