Menu

Would BF Geography and MP States and Capitals be overkill if done together?

5LittleMonkeys

This would be for 6th next year so she would be on the top end of the age recommendations.  My 3rd grader would tag along as well doing what he is capable of doing. 

Thoughts?  

The other option would be to do the States and Capitals now and be nearly finished by the time we start BF.  I'm not sure - my thinking was that the S&C workbook would be more systematic and help reinforce the BF.

At one point I had both (not sure if I still have the BF set or if I returned it to our charter's lending library) and they are very different. The MP S&C is a bit dry but effective. I was disappointed by the BF set. My kids read the Holling C. Holling books but we did not end up using the BF study guide.

Now I did not have the IEW theme book that goes along with BF geography. That looks interesting and maybe we would've gotten more out of the BF set if I'd known about and incorporated the IEW assignments.

I don't see why you couldn't use them both.  I'm going to be using BF Geography along with Kathy Jo's 50 States and Where to Find Them.  Her book also uses the Holling books....although things will probably be in a different order than BF. 

I had seen the IEW too, but quickly realized my dd would end up hating geography if I made her do IEW writing assignments along with it (you do need to know the IEW way of teaching writing to use that, btw).